IB Middle Years Programme
What is MYP?
The MYP is a challenging framework that encourages students to make practical connections between their studies and the real world. Students who complete the MYP are well-prepared to undertake the IB Diploma Program (DP). The MYP curriculum is linked together with Global Contexts, IB Learner Profile and Approaches to Learning Skills.
What will my student be learning?
- Language and Literature
- Individual and Societies
- World Language: Spanish, Arabic, or French.
Students will choose 1 per semester
- Art: Visual Arts and Drawing/Painting
- Music: Band, Choir
- PE: Fitness Foundations – after taking this course students can take other PE classes offered
- CTE: Microsoft IT Academy, Marketing, Exploring Computer Science, Photography, Personal Choices, and Woods
All MYP students will complete a Personal Project!
What is the Personal Project?
The Personal Project is an independent project that allows you to explore an area that is of interest to you. Maybe you have always wanted to learn a foreign language or learn to cook. Perhaps you want to research a global issue or create an original piece of art or music. The Personal Project is an opportunity for you to develop, design and implement a project of your choice. You will start your project in the spring of your 9thgrade year and you will showcase your Personal Project in the spring of your 10th grade year. You will also explore how the Personal Project connects to the 4 learning outcomes for Advisory: Social Development, Personal Development, Academic Development, and College/Career Readiness.
Examples of Personal Projects:
- Participate in and help organize a walk for Autism
- Create a scrapbook of mentors and role models for young teens
- Create a website to inform about subliminal messaging
- Paint a mural to depict diversity and respect
- Teach a parent to play the piano who has no prior experience
Learn more about the IB Programme here.